Tuesday 20 September 2011

Plotting Bedfellows

Being in the dormant moon phase (not to mention what is hopefully the last of some fairly soggy weather) I've been doing some planning on the Zone 2 vegie beds. Working towards a 6 bed rotational system with an emphasis on companion planting. There are actually 7 beds available at the moment, so if all goes according to plan, Spring/Summer plantings will be as follows -

  • Bed 1 - is number 1 as he's the most northerly in aspect, but does have some shade issues. I'm predicting these will lessen as the season progresses - hopefully enough to support onion, tomato, capsicum, basil, parsley & chives.
  • Bed 2 - very shaded, but should be suited to lettuce, dill, brahmi, beetroot (grown mainly as a leaf crop) & celery.
  • Bed 3 - zucchini & nasturtium. This bed and bed 4 get the lion's share of sun at this time of the year, so should do well.
  • Bed 4 - beans, eggplant, coriander & sage. I actually loathe coriander (it's affectionately known in my house as "vile devil weed") but apparently so do a host of bugs.
  • Bed 5 - broad beans, cauliflower, broccoli & thyme. This is also my experimental hodgepodge bed.
  • Bed 6 - Raised stone bed at waist height. Strawberries, spinach and rocket will live here.
  • Bed 7 - is currently a compost pit & will eventually be repurposed as a pond, but this season it's pumpkins. A last minute addition, since I didn't think the seeds would ever germinate, but I've now got 2 seedlings in need of accommodation so lucky number 7 it is.
These beds are situated in what will eventually become the Zone 2 orchard/food forest, so I've been looking into the companion effects on fruiting trees as well. Currently we have an Orange and Lemon which I'll underplant with comfrey and lavender respectively. I recently planted an Adriatic Fig, but being shallow-rooted and not yet established I'll be keeping that clear for now. Same with the Plums but more for access as they're overgrown and in need of renovation. If we can save them I'll be looking to underplant them with yarrow, southernwood, tansy & chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment